Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. Northern Ocean Habitat is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement. Habitat welcomes people from all walks of life to partner in serving families in need and creating a better community for everyone who lives here.
Founded in 2000, Northern Ocean Habitat has been providing homeownership opportunities for hardworking families for 17 years. Northern Ocean Habitat serves the northern region of Ocean County, and has built 18 affordable homes and rehabbed 60 Sandy-impacted homes in partnership with local families. Collectively, Habitat for Humanity has built over 1,000,000 homes worldwide, averaging one home every seven minutes.
Habitat works with qualified, low-income families to help them realize the dream of owning their own home. We do this through a hand-up, not hand-out model in which homeowners help to build and then buy their home from Habitat.
Here’s how it works: after completing 300 sweat equity hours, families sign their affordable mortgages and make monthly payments that are based on no more than 30% of their monthly income. These payments go into the Revolving Fund for Humanity to pay it forward, helping to build more homes.
Additionally, Habitat offers home repair services to low-income homeowners, using the same affordable payment and sweat equity model. Northern Ocean Habitat has repaired over 150 homes for seniors, veterans, disabled peoples and those who cannot make repairs themselves since 2010.
Instead of being in a vulnerable and fragile economic position, Habitat partner families find themselves in a position of strength. Habitat homeowners are committed and successful. By providing a hand up, not a handout, our program prepares and empowers those we serve.
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: We believe that all people deserve a simple, decent place to live and have something to contribute in building homes and helping our communities. We welcome people from all walks of life to partner with our program.
- Homeownership: We believe in the power of homeownership to affirm dignity, encourage hope, and transform lives. A healthy, stable home improves the quality of life, both for the family and the community.
- Families as Partners: We believe that dignity is promoted not simply by living in an adequate house, but by fully contributing to the process of building and buying that home and helping others acquire adequate shelter.
- Volunteerism: We believe in the volunteer spirit and are committed to offering rewarding volunteer experiences.
- Stewardship: We are committed to excellence, to efficient use of our financial, environmental, and human resources, and we are accountable to our funders, volunteers, and family partners.
- Collaboration: We strive to create strong, productive partnerships with organizations and area housing providers toward our common goal of eliminating substandard housing.
Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations will not proselytize. Nor will HFHI work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFHI. This means that HFHI will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must (i) adhere or convert to a part faith or (ii) listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY ORGANIZATION
Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin or sexual orientation in its hiring of employees or in any of the programs or activities which it operates.