What is Veterans Build?
Habitat for Humanity’s Veterans Build is a national initiative to provide housing solutions and volunteer and employment opportunities to U.S. veterans, military service members and their families.
Why is Habitat for Humanity Focusing on Veteran Needs?
- Nearly 4 million veteran households pay more than 30 percent of income for housing.
- More than 1.5 million of these households pay more than 50 percent of income for housing (severe cost burden).
- Nearly 1 million veterans who own homes are severely cost burdened, despite having access to VA loans and other assistance.
- A substantial subset of veterans struggles economically. Approximately 1.4 million veterans (6.7 percent) live in poverty.
What Activities Does Veterans Build Support?
- Build: Provide simple, decent and affordable housing solutions for military service members, veterans and their families.
- Mobilize: Engage military service members, veterans, families, veterans’ groups and all military supporters in volunteer programs and veteran-related advocacy.
- Employ: Capitalize on skill sets gained from military service with recruitment targeting veterans as Habitat for Humanity International/local affiliate employees, board members and extended volunteers, national service members, interns and fellows.
- Educate: Promote cultural competency for Habitat affiliates engaging military service members and veterans and provide access to financial literacy and homeownership education programs.
- Honor: Host regular slate of events highlighting veteran housing needs and honoring their service. Target dates include the 9/11 Day of Service and Veterans Day.